Can Alkaline Water Cause Headaches?
You're probably familiar with dehydration headaches but what about headaches caused by drinking alkaline water?
Well, as with everything in life, moderation is key and this also applies to your (alkaline) water intake.
In this blog post, we'll provide clarity on the following:
- *What Is Alkaline Water?
- *What Are The Benefits of Alkaline Water?
- *Can Alkaline Water Cause Headaches?
- *How Much Alkaline Water Can I Drink Per Day?
- *How Do I Make Alkaline Water?
What Is Alkaline Water?
Let's start by briefly explaining what alkaline water is in case you're not familiar with it quite yet.
Alkaline water has been enriched with minerals, including trace minerals, to give it a higher pH level than regular tap or bottled water. pH stands for "potential of hydrogen".
The pH levels of water vary between 0-14, 0 being the most acid and 14 being the most alkaline.
Regular tap water has an average neutral pH of 7. That's unless your tap water is naturally filtered through lava rock. But chances of that occurring are slim to none, unless you live in Iceland.
That said, the average alkaline drinking water pH is 8-9 and can go up to 10 or even 11, depending on your local water source.
What Are The Benefits of Alkaline Water?
It's widely believed that alkaline water can help:
- *Increase your body's hydration
- *Improve your digestion/metabolism
- *Enhance your energy levels & mental clarity
- *Reduce heartburn symptoms
- *Reduce high blood pressure
- *Improves stamina & endurance in athletes
...by the way, did you know that all illnesses thrive in an acidic environment? Something to think about!
Can Alkaline Water Cause Headaches?
You may already be familiar with the effect of too much regular water on your body.
When you drink too much water in general, a drop in sodium levels in your blood occurs which can cause headaches. This condition is also known as hyponatremia.
Other symptoms of hyponatremia besides headaches are:
- *Muscle cramps
Similarly to drinking too much regular water, too much alkaline water can also cause headaches.
Likewise, if your body is not used to alkaline water and you're making a sudden switch, you can expect detoxifying side effects.
For example, headaches but also fatigue, muscle aches, a runny nose and other flu-like symptoms. Also softer stool.
These side-effects are a good sign, as they are directly related to the detoxification that your body is undergoing as the micro-clustered water penetrates deep into your tissues.
That's where it expels acid waste and toxins that have accumulated in your body over time.
Any side effects will subside once your body has become accustomed to the water. How long exactly depends on each individual and the level of detoxification their body needs to undergo.
That said, it's best to slowly transition from drinking regular tap water to alkaline water. We recommend to gradually increase your alkaline water intake over a period of three weeks.
This will help balance your body's pH, makes sure your body gets used to the additional minerals and prevent any headaches.
How Much Alkaline Water A Day?
We all know how important it is to drink enough water every day, regardless of whether it's alkaline or not. But how much is the right amount?
There isn't really a one-size-fits-all answer, as the amount of water you need depends on a variety of factors, including your activity level, environment and health.
That being said, we generally recommend drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should drink at least 80 ounces of water per day.
In other words, 8-12 glasses or 2 to 3 liters.
Of course it's always best to drink more if you can to ensure your body gets all the hydration it needs. Especially while you're working out!
How Can I Make Alkaline Water?
The easiest way to make your own alkaline water is with our alkaline water filters. They can increase your water alkalinity up to pH 10 or even 11, depending on your local water source.
Besides adding healthy (trace) minerals to your body, they also remove:
- *Bad taste & odors
- *Led & heavy metals
They're available for home use AND when you're on the go:
Tip: Although it's best to drink freshly filtered alkaline water for optimal benefits, you can leave our filtered alkaline water in the fridge for up to one week.
Alkaline Water Headaches: Bottom Line
Headaches can be a side effect of drinking too much alkaline water as well as when you're making a switch from regular tap to alkaline water.
Depending on the level of detoxification that your body's going through, you can experience side effects such as headaches, fatigue and nausea for the first few days or weeks.
Regardless of how long it takes your body to adjust to alkaline water, it's a great way to stay hydrated and healthy!
The best part is that it's super easy to get your hands on – just head to our website and order your own alkaline water filter today!
**Did you know? We’re offering free U.S. Standard shipping on ALL orders!**
- 8 Benefits of Countertop Filters
- Do Water Pitchers Remove Fluoride?
- Prevent Splashes With Our Ice Guard
- How to Save Money on Alkaline Water
- How to Make Tap Water Taste Better
- These Alkaline Water Bottles Help Keep You Hydrated in 2022
- How to Make Alkaline Water At Home
- Is Alkaline Water Good For Hair?
- Cleaning Your Home with Alkaline Water
- Can Alkaline Water Cause Headaches?
- Sweepstakes Giveaway 2022: Enter to Win $4300 In Prizes
- Alkaline Water For Coffee: How Health Conscious Coffee Drinkers Are Improving Their Mornings
- How to Choose a Shower Head Water Filter
- How Do Filter Water Bottles Work?
- How to Clean a Water Filter Pitcher?
- Types of Water filters and How to Choose the Right One
- Can dogs drink alkaline water?
- How to Tell When Water Filters Need Replacing?
- How to Measure PH?
- Do Water Filters Remove Fluoride?
- What Is the pH of Pure Water?
- Alkaline Water vs Purified Water: What's the Difference
- Pros and Cons of Alkaline Water
- What Are the Health Benefits of a Shower Filter?
- Should I Use Filtered Water to Make my Tea or Coffee?
- What Are the Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water?
- Does Lemon Remove Fluoride from Water?
- Why Is Water Blue?
- Alkaline vs Acid Diet
- HOLIDAY STINGERS
- Global Water Scarcity: What can you do?
- NEW LIPS, NEW YOU!
- What's In Your Water Bottle?
- HAPPINESS - A STATE OF MIND?
- COCO LOCO
- SWEET DREAMS
- NOW IS THE TIME
- EVERY SIP COUNTS
- Free-Flowing Happiness part 2
- Free-Flowing Happiness Part 1
- 7 Tips on How to Cleanse your Lungs
- COLOR YOUR LIFE
- THERE’S NOWHERE LIKE HOME
- Fresh with Lemons: Natural Beauty Hacks
- 5 Ways to Cleanse your Liver
- Essential Oils Uses There's Nothing Like a Good Soak
- COUNTERING JUNK FOOD
- BLESS OUR WORLD
- LET IT GO
- INTL WOMEN’S DAY/WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY