COLOR YOUR LIFE
Do you love home cooked meals? Good! Do you love to experiment? Great! The joys of culinary delights, with its wondrous smells, colors, perhaps fancy designs if you have the time and creative energy, can be simply delicious and one of the many pleasures in life. Single ladies take note - remember they do after all say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach!
Do you perhaps also have someone at home who refuses to eat certain types of foods? Kids can often be picky little eaters, often refusing to eat vegetables. And while we love preparing foods for the little darlings, it can get tiresome thinking of ways to trick them into eating what’s on the table.
I know some of you will say, this doesn’t happen in my house because my kids eat everything. We envy you. The reality is, I’m sure many of us have tried to hang in there and stick to our guns, so they’ll give it a try but in the end. But in fear, they’ll actually starve to death, or just in plain frustration when the tantrums never cease, we still give in on chicken nuggets, unhealthy sandwiches, cereals to make sure they are fed and reasonably healthy.
So we have been on a quest of turning vegetables into irresistible foods. Most recently we’ve tried mixing colors with food (but not the gross looking ones!) using natural ingredients. We all know kids love bright colors, with this method you will be hitting two birds with one stone:
1. Serving A Healthy Meal
2. Creating Something That The Kids Will Love Based On Its Looks.
Below we’d like to share our recipe and choice of vegetables for coloring foods. To use the following as food coloring you’ll need to turn it into a powder or a juice using a food processor. Of course, since these are natural foods, using a small amount of coloring can still affect the taste of your masterpiece. Be aware of the natural taste of your chosen vegetable when applying it to your recipe.
Red and Pink = Beets, Raspberries, Cranberries, and Pomegranates
Orange = Carrot and Pumpkin puree
Yellow = Turmeric
Green = Spinach, Spirulina and Matcha
Blue = Blueberry or Red Cabbage Juice (mixed with baking soda)
Purple = Purple Sweet Potato, Blueberry, and Blackberry
Brown = Cocoa, Cacao, and Black Tea.
Black = Activated Charcoal
Here are 4 ways to color your life with healthy happy foods:
1. Zucchini Pasta
We can always make fun and creative meals. For example, Zucchini Pasta is becoming popular lately. Instead of adding color to your noodles, you can use actual Zucchini as your pasta. It may sound weird, but a lot of people love it. To easily make this sumptuous veggie ‘pasta’, we recommend investing in a spiralizer. For some raw zucchini may be a bit hard on the stomach, we recommend gently blanching it before serving. This will also soften it.
2. Fried Cauliflower
Another tasty healthy treat is fried cauliflower, which vegans refer to as their fried chicken. Since this dish is fried, kids would most likely welcome this more than plain green vegetables on their plate.
3. Smoothies or Fruit Shakes
If you can't get them to eat fresh fruits, try serving them as smoothies or fruit shakes. But remember, fruits have a high natural sugar content, and 5 serves per day of all types of fruit is the max recommended. As many are naturally very sweet, you will likely find the need for added sugars or sweeteners is not needed.
4. Fresh Fruit to color Cakes & Pastries
The last trick up my sleeves is to use fresh fruits and natural coloring on pastries and cakes. Instead of using candy sprinkles and candy flowers as decoration, we use fresh fruit, nuts, and granola as toppings and they are great! They will gently infuse into the base, and perhaps also add some welcome coloring
Remember you can also easily swap out regular flour for almond meal or other healthier flour, replace sugar with healthy natural sugars like honey, maple syrup or coconut nectar, and replace dairy products with healthier nut milk and vegan butter. There really is very little difference in the taste, but much to gain for your body!
Cooking for picky eaters is always a challenge but it’s not always hard. It’s a matter of creativity and presentation. If you have suggestions or would like to share some of your own recipes for appetizing foods for the picky eaters, please comment down below!
Holi is the Indian Festival of Color and Love, where you throw color powder and water at each other and paint the town - literally! It is held beginning March every year, and color relates to your psyche as aromatherapy does to your senses. It works in depth, it heals, and it restores the playful child in you that really just wants to have fun. Life is serious and we often forget how to play. Letting color into your life helps restore this sense of fun into your everyday life. Blame it on the kids if you have to. Now get going, roll up those sleeves and get amongst it!
Until next week, stay invigorated!
- Cleaning Your Home with Alkaline Water
- Can Alkaline Water Cause Headaches?
- Sweepstakes Giveaway 2022: Enter to Win $4300 In Prizes
- Alkaline Water For Coffee: How Health Conscious Coffee Drinkers Are Improving Their Mornings
- How to Choose a Shower Head Water Filter
- How Do Filter Water Bottles Work?
- How to Clean a Water Filter Pitcher?
- Types of Water filters and How to Choose the Right One
- Can dogs drink alkaline water?
- How to Tell When Water Filters Need Replacing?
- How to Measure PH?
- Do Water Filters Remove Fluoride?
- What Is the pH of Pure Water?
- Alkaline Water vs Purified Water: What's the Difference
- Pros and Cons of Alkaline Water
- What Are the Health Benefits of a Shower Filter?
- Should I Use Filtered Water to Make my Tea or Coffee?
- What Are the Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water?
- Does Lemon Remove Fluoride from Water?
- Why Is Water Blue?
- Alkaline vs Acid Diet
- HOLIDAY STINGERS
- Global Water Scarcity: What can you do?
- NEW LIPS, NEW YOU!
- What's In Your Water Bottle?
- HAPPINESS - A STATE OF MIND?
- COCO LOCO
- SWEET DREAMS
- NOW IS THE TIME
- EVERY SIP COUNTS
- Free-Flowing Happiness part 2
- Free-Flowing Happiness Part 1
- 7 Tips on How to Cleanse your Lungs
- COLOR YOUR LIFE
- THERE’S NOWHERE LIKE HOME
- Fresh with Lemons: Natural Beauty Hacks
- 5 Ways to Cleanse your Liver
- Essential Oils Uses There's Nothing Like a Good Soak
- COUNTERING JUNK FOOD
- BLESS OUR WORLD
- LET IT GO
- INTL WOMEN’S DAY/WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY
- A TIME FOR EQUITY
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 2)
- 10 Natural ways how to remove fluoride from water (Part 1)
- NATURAL FLUORIDE DETOX WITH WATER
- An In-cider Look with Apple Cider Vinegar
- STARTING THE YEAR RIGHT
- JUST AS THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED?
- Hangover Recovery Essentials