A ketonic diet or Keto diet is a high fat, very low carb with sufficient protein diet. It was originally designed in 1924 by Dr. Russell Wilder at the Mayo clinic to treat epilepsy in children when there were no anti-seizure medicines available. Although it is an effective way to fight seizures, it was mostly abandoned when anti-seizure medicines became available in 1940s.
Ketonic diet is identical to Atkins diet or LCHF diet. Because there is low to no carb in the body, the body burns the fat to use as energy. Because of this, Keto diet became a fad to weight watchers or people who wants to lose weight. Keto diet is to make ketosis but high level of ketones is harmful that’s why you need to measure the level of your ketones before going into Keto diet.
Another effect of the diet is that it lowers glucose levels and improves insulin resistance. This diet is also used on patients with diabetes because it regulates the release of insulin. When we consume food, carbohydrates are stored which later releases insulin. But when the body has no stored carbohydrates, insulin is not released, thus the insulin resistance of diabetic patient.
When you are on low carb diet, blood sugar is not enough for your body. Your body then turns into a fat burning machine burning stored fats to manufacture blood sugar. Your body then relies on fat for energy. Fat is transformed in the liver into fatty acids and used as energy. It then fuels the entire body including the brain. This is why people on low carb diet feel they have clear thinking.
There are many benefits of a keto diet. Most people use this to lose weight because you burn your fat and not store them. Another benefit is the reduce in risk of developing diabetes; this is because insulin is regulated. Studies also state that this diet can protect you against heart diseases because you limit the intake of carbohydrates or too much sugary foods. Other studies show that it can also help prevent cancer by means of limiting the intake of cancer of sugar and carbohydrates thus killing or preventing cancer cells to multiply.
- Does Lemon Remove Fluoride from Water?
- Alkaline vs Acid Diet
- HOLIDAY STINGERS
- Global Water Scarcity: What can you do?
- NEW LIPS, NEW YOU!
- What's In Your Water Bottle?
- HAPPINESS - A STATE OF MIND?
- COCO LOCO
- SWEET DREAMS
- NOW IS THE TIME
- EVERY SIP COUNTS
- Free-Flowing Happiness part 2
- Free-Flowing Happiness Part 1
- BREATHE DEEPLY
- COLOR YOUR LIFE
- THERE’S NOWHERE LIKE HOME
- FRESH BEAUTY WITH LEMONS
- 5 WAYS TO CLEANSE YOUR LIVER
- THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A GOOD SOAK
- COUNTERING JUNK FOOD
- BLESS OUR WORLD
- LET IT GO
- INTL WOMEN’S DAY/WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY
- A TIME FOR EQUITY
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 2)
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 1)
- NATURAL FLUORIDE DETOX WITH WATER
- An in-cider look?
- STARTING THE YEAR RIGHT
- JUST AS THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED?
- HANGOVER RECOVERY ESSENTIALS
- SMELL YOUR WAY TO BETTER HEALTH
- FIGHT COLD & FLU WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
- WAITED ON HAND AND FOOT?
- EDUCATE YOURSELF TO AVOID A SWEET DEATH
- Are 8 glasses of fluid really enough?
- ORANGE = VITALITY
- IONIZED WATER CAN COMBAT CHRONIC PAINS
- FALL RETROSPECT
- ‘Tis the season to get hot & steamy!
- Ionized water is important
- Hear ye! Hear ye! Garlic Oil will fight your ear infection!
- SAVE SOME WATER FOR TOMORROW
- Banana: The Happy Fruit
- Amazon and Wildlife Matters
- 'Bacteria Removal - Why It Is Important'
- Types of Tap Filters, when and where to use them
- KETONIC DIET