SAVE SOME WATER FOR TOMORROW
We’re running out of fresh water and if we do not do our part, they will be gone soon.`Using water in our daily lives is important, almost all of our activity involves water.
There are 3 types of water use, the indoor water, outdoor water and virtual water. Believe it or not, we consume more water in virtual water than indoor and outdoor water combined. Indoor and outdoor water are the waters we consume inside and outside the house while virtual water is the water needed in food (fresh produce), goods and services you consume.
It’s a known fact that 71% of the Earth’s surface is made up of water. Just this fact makes it hard to argue why there is a need to save water when there is seemingly too much. In reality, only 2.5% of the Earth’s water is fresh and safe for consumption, the remaining 68.5% is made up of saline ocean-based waters, most fresh water is stemming from glaciers and snowfields. Now it makes sense to save some water, right?
Here are some tips on how to save water:
1. Before rinsing fruits and vegetables, put them in a big bowl and scrub them with a vegetable brush to remove particles instead of using your faucet as power washer. Using an alkaline water and vinegar mix will help remove the chemicals.
2. Plan ahead. Don’t defrost frozen food with water. You can put them on your fridge overnight or take them out on your sink a few hours before to thaw.
3. If you are steaming vegetables, steam them in a multi-tiered cooker, for example while cooking rice, potatoes or your pasta.
4. When washing the dishes with hands, plug the sink so you can soak the dished to avoid letting the water run. Wash the dishes first with soap and rinse them one after the other.
5. Keep a bottle or pitcher in the refrigerator instead of running the tap to cool every time you want a cold water.
6. Disposable bottled water takes about 1.5 gallon to manufacture. You can buy your own reusable bottle that you can take anywhere.
7. Pour enough water on your glass. Only fill the glass the amount of water that you’re going to drink.
8. Install Low-faucet aerators on your kitchen sink to cut down your flow rate per minute. They produce 1.5 gallons per minute while conventional faucets flow at 5 gallons per minute.
9. Use a cup when brushing your teeth. Don’t let the water run while brushing.
10. In general, turn off the faucet when not in use and recycle water when possible.
Do you think you don’t use that much water? Check out this calculator to compute for your water footprint.
It may not seem too much water, but what will you do if one day, you find yourself out of clean water to use? Save some water for tomorrow, it wouldn't hurt to be a little self-conscious with water use.
- Does Lemon Remove Fluoride from Water?
- Alkaline vs Acid Diet
- HOLIDAY STINGERS
- Global Water Scarcity: What can you do?
- NEW LIPS, NEW YOU!
- What's In Your Water Bottle?
- HAPPINESS - A STATE OF MIND?
- COCO LOCO
- SWEET DREAMS
- NOW IS THE TIME
- EVERY SIP COUNTS
- Free-Flowing Happiness part 2
- Free-Flowing Happiness Part 1
- BREATHE DEEPLY
- COLOR YOUR LIFE
- THERE’S NOWHERE LIKE HOME
- FRESH BEAUTY WITH LEMONS
- 5 WAYS TO CLEANSE YOUR LIVER
- THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A GOOD SOAK
- COUNTERING JUNK FOOD
- BLESS OUR WORLD
- LET IT GO
- INTL WOMEN’S DAY/WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY
- A TIME FOR EQUITY
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 2)
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 1)
- NATURAL FLUORIDE DETOX WITH WATER
- An in-cider look?
- STARTING THE YEAR RIGHT
- JUST AS THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED?
- HANGOVER RECOVERY ESSENTIALS
- SMELL YOUR WAY TO BETTER HEALTH
- FIGHT COLD & FLU WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
- WAITED ON HAND AND FOOT?
- EDUCATE YOURSELF TO AVOID A SWEET DEATH
- Are 8 glasses of fluid really enough?
- ORANGE = VITALITY
- IONIZED WATER CAN COMBAT CHRONIC PAINS
- FALL RETROSPECT
- ‘Tis the season to get hot & steamy!
- Ionized water is important
- Hear ye! Hear ye! Garlic Oil will fight your ear infection!
- SAVE SOME WATER FOR TOMORROW
- Banana: The Happy Fruit
- Amazon and Wildlife Matters
- 'Bacteria Removal - Why It Is Important'
- Types of Tap Filters, when and where to use them
- KETONIC DIET