Types of Tap Water Filters - When and Where to Use Them
71% of earth’s surface is water but only 1% of that water surface is consumable water. Unfortunately, the available water is not as clean and pure as we think they are. There are deposits from our water either from natural sources or otherwise which are not safe when digested. Thankfully, with the help of research and technology, tap filters are invented.
Tap Filters or faucet water filters are important for households with water supply that has sediments and contaminants in them. These filters help remove these minerals and chemicals that can cause harm when ingested. Given that we should use tap filters for our drinking water but how about for other things that we use water for? In general, the answer would be it depends on your water component.
Here are the commonly types of Tap Filters on the market:
This filter is usually powdered and is made of carbon. It is the most common water filter used inside a regular household which can either be on a water pitcher, water bottle or faucet-mounted systems. Their primary function is to reduce, if not eliminate chlorine, chlorine byproduct, pesticides and herbicides. Carbon filters are also good in eliminating odor and taste in your water supply. With that said, AC are ideal to use when: washing produce like fruits and vegetables, doing house chores such as washing the dishes and washing of clothes.
Softeners/Ion Exchange Units
This type of water filter faucet is used when converting hard water to soft water also known as water softening. Water Softening is the process in which calcium, magnesium and lead are filtered out with the help of the Ion Exchange Units and salt. Soft water are ideal for cleansing bathing, cleansing of pets and watering plants as hard water may cause skin irritation and photosynthesis.
Ultraviolet (UV) Treatment
UV filter is believed to denature bacterial DNA as protein absorbs UV radiation. This type of Treatment is the only approved treatment of by the National Sanitation Foundation International to lessen bacteria. UV treatment should always be performed by professional as there are risks if higher radiation dose is exposed to water as well as careful handling of the UV light should always be observed.
Reverse Osmosis can be used on your water supply but needs to be combined with other water filters to get pure water as they only filter out large molecules and does not filter the small ones such as chlorine. Most often, RO systems are expensive and ineffective when they only function by themselves without any other added water filter as the water they produce are still hard waters and still contains small compounds such as chlorine and chlorine byproduct. RO when used with other filters can be used for a very long time and can filter your water effectively.
Water distillers turns water into steam and turns steam back to water which leaves contaminants as they evaporate. This is one of the best process to remove bacteria in water unfortunately, most of the water distillers still can process out chlorine and chlorine by product so you still need to use other filer like Active Carbon for your drinking water. Also, distillation requires more energy as water is heated to turn into steam.
Alkaline Water & Purification
We at Invigorated Water strives to create new products that we think can help each household attain and maintain alkaline water regardless of its use. We have recently launched our pH Purify 8-Stage Faucet & Tap Filter which offers an easy and effective way to remove dangerous and hazardous chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, and pollutants from your families water source.
When you go to your local hardware, you will be presented with a lot of filter options. It is always advisable to know what’s in your water before purchasing one since water filters function differently. Stay hydrated, stay clean and stay away from too much hard water :)
- How to Tell When Water Filters Need Replacing?
- How to Measure PH?
- Do Water Filters Remove Fluoride?
- What Is the pH of Pure Water?
- Alkaline Water vs Purified Water: What's the Difference
- Pros and Cons of Alkaline Water
- What Are the Health Benefits of a Shower Filter?
- Should I Use Filtered Water to Make my Tea or Coffee?
- What Are the Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water?
- Does Lemon Remove Fluoride from Water?
- Why Is Water Blue?
- Alkaline vs Acid Diet
- HOLIDAY STINGERS
- Global Water Scarcity: What can you do?
- NEW LIPS, NEW YOU!
- What's In Your Water Bottle?
- HAPPINESS - A STATE OF MIND?
- COCO LOCO
- SWEET DREAMS
- NOW IS THE TIME
- EVERY SIP COUNTS
- Free-Flowing Happiness part 2
- Free-Flowing Happiness Part 1
- 7 Tips on How to Cleanse your Lungs
- COLOR YOUR LIFE
- THERE’S NOWHERE LIKE HOME
- FRESH BEAUTY WITH LEMONS
- 5 WAYS TO CLEANSE YOUR LIVER
- Essential Oils Uses There's Nothing Like a Good Soak
- COUNTERING JUNK FOOD
- BLESS OUR WORLD
- LET IT GO
- INTL WOMEN’S DAY/WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY
- A TIME FOR EQUITY
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 2)
- 10 Natural ways how to remove fluoride from water (Part 1)
- NATURAL FLUORIDE DETOX WITH WATER
- An in-cider look?
- STARTING THE YEAR RIGHT
- JUST AS THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED?
- HANGOVER RECOVERY ESSENTIALS
- SMELL YOUR WAY TO BETTER HEALTH
- FIGHT COLD & FLU WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
- WAITED ON HAND AND FOOT?
- EDUCATE YOURSELF TO AVOID A SWEET DEATH
- Are 8 glasses of fluid really enough?
- ORANGE = VITALITY
- Ionized Water Can Combat Chronic Pains
- FALL RETROSPECT