Life today is increasingly active, social and on the go. This creates a different way of living than before. Your tongue can be a good tell tale sign of how your body is actually feeling; telling you a lot about your health by just looking at it.
Your tongue is a direct gateway between your body, mind and your environment. Establishing a good connection between these elements is key for your overall health. We are taught to be diligent, to brush and floss our teeth regularly to avoid bad gum health, but the tongue is often overlooked.
Now you may be thinking, what exactly can I do to my tongue that can help my health? Tongue scraping is an ancient Ayurvedic tradition and ritual where bacteria, toxins, viruses, fungus and discoloured buildup is removed by gently scraping your tongue with a metal device.
Use the tongue scraper before brushing your teeth every morning and evening along with a positive affirmation, and gently scrape the surface of your tongue a few times until all coating has been removed. Finish by rinsing with water and cleaning your tongue scraper well.
The most commonly used materials are copper, stainless steel, brass and tin. In premium versions you may even find some made of gold, silver and platinum.
There are also several less expensive options made out of plastic, but we recommend metal for 2 reasons:
1. Metal is more flexible than plastic and will therefore be less likely to damage or cut the tongue 2. Metal will naturally repel bacteria build up on the tongue scraper tool
5 reasons to use a tongue scraper:
1. Remove bad breath By removing bacterial buildup on your tongue which is often excellently hidden by the tongues many bumps and ridges. You will not only remove the source of odors created from the Volatile Sulfur Compounds (VSC’s) causing the smell, but also look and feel better.
2. Improve sense of taste By eliminating tongue buildup you will improve the ability to taste your food and drink, leading to heightened enjoyment and improved digestion. It is a great way to remove toxicity build up and become more self-aware and make healthier choices.
3. Remove excess keratin By scraping residue off your tongue, you will help regulate keratin imbalance on your tongue. An unbalanced diet and the lack of sufficient fiber will cause an accumulation of keratin and further discoloration of the coating on your tongue. This will in turn affect your overall wellbeing.
It is recommended by the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology (AAOMP) to regularly scrape your tongue to address this issue.
4. Stimulate internal organs Ancient Ayurvedic principles claim by scraping your tongue you help stimulate internal organs through energetic connections, remove bacteria leading to oral cavities, as well as cleansing the toxic residue in the body (known as Ama).
Scraping the tongue can be seen as a massage for your organs, stimulating them to work better for you, keeping you healthy and disease free.
5. Increase nutritional interpretation Your tongue has a multitude of receptors that interpret everything you put into your mouth, thus interpreting how to deal with the nutrients consumed through your food intake.
By scraping your tongue and removing interfering buildup, you can improve food and body communication, and how nutrition is distributed in your body.
6. Change your state of mind & manifest the life you want By adding affirmations to your daily routine when tongue scraping, you can help alter your state of mind, your mood, and help manifest the life you want.
Examples of affirmations you can use are:
I can accomplish anything I put my mind to.
Being myself involves no risks. It’s my ultimate truth and I live my life fearlessly.
I am filled with gratitude and kindness for another day on this earth.
I am happy and content with my life.
I am feeling healthy and strong today.
I have all that I need to make this a great day.
I feel passionate about my life, and this passion fills me with excitement and energy.
And so on. Make up your own affirmations based on what you feel you need more of in your life. The old saying ‘fake it until you make it’ does carry a lot of truth to it when it comes to manifesting the life you want.
Your mind does not differentiate between true or incorrect facts, it just listens to what you tell it. So boosting yourself through positive affirmations is a great way to start creating the life you want.
Take control of your body today and look - feel - live INVIGORATED!