What Soft Water Does for Your Hair, Scalp and Skin
Do you suffer from itchy, blotchy skin and dry lifeless hair? Odds are you may have hard water, which is affecting your scalp, skin & hair. Best way to combat this issue is to install a water filter to your water outlet, generally a very quick and easy job, with immediate wonderful results.
If you see residue accumulation in your bathroom, kitchen, faucets and drains, odds are you have hard water. There are many chemicals out there to help clean this stubborn residue, which consists of large amounts of calcium and magnesium deposits in your water, but we at Invigorated Living prefer more earth-friendly options such as homemade power cleaners with all natural ingredients.
Here’s a recipe:
ALL NATURAL DIY POWER CLEANER (all-purpose)
3/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup filtered alkaline water
2-3 drops dish soap
5-10 drops orange essential oil
5-10 drops tea tree essential oil
5-10 drops lavender essential oil
5-10 drops peppermint essential oil
1. Mix all ingredients together
2. Pour into 16 oz glass spray bottle (you can also use plastic, but glass is preferable for storage)
3. Shake, spray and clean with a microfiber cloth - watch the dirt vanish and be amazed!
4. Can be used as an all-purpose cleaner for kitchen, bathroom, glass, toilets etc.
5. NB. Not suitable for granite worktops as the vinegar can mattify and potentially eat into the surface. Instead mix 1/4 cup alcohol, 3-5 drops dish soap, 5-10 drops essential oils, 2 cups water.
According to Wikipedia, Soft water is surface water that contains low concentrations of ions and in particular - is low in ions of calcium and magnesium. Soft water naturally occurs where rainfall and the drainage basin of rivers are formed of hard, impervious and calcium poor rocks.
How to soften your water supply
There are machines (used together with salt) readily available for water softening. The machine usually filters out hard minerals in it’s tank and flush them out to drain. Ion exchangers are also used to swap calcium and magnesium ions with other ions which can be sodium or potassium. Salt when mixed with water softener, changes calcium sulfate component to sodium sulfate which is more laxative.
Types of salt used for water softening
1. Rock salt - mined traditionally from underground salt deposits with calcium sulfate as its main component. Rock salt has water insolubility level of about 0.5-1.5% and is 98 - 99% sodium chloride.
2. Solar salt - is formed in the evaporation of seawater. It has 85% sodium chloride and 0.03% insolubility.
3. Evaporated salt - from underground mining of salt deposits of dissolving salts. Using energy or natural gas, moisture from the salt is evaporated. This type of salt has 99.6 to 99.99% sodium chloride.
Soft water vs Hard water
HAIR and SCALP
Hard water dries your hair out, especially if it is coloured hair. It makes your hair look rough and greasy. Calcium and magnesium (the main minerals found in hard water) coats your hair, stopping shampoo and conditioner from cleaning your hair. Styling can also be an issue as dry hairs do not easily comply to hair brushes. It can cause tangles or hair breakage which will result into a stressed hairstyle.
Soft water on the other hand lets your cleaning agents penetrate your scalp and roots making your hair more vibrant, cleaner and softer. In the long run, soft water also lets you save money. Since your shampoo can easily penetrate your hair and can produce thick lather, you will only need to use less product for cleansing.
Hard water on skin can also be damaging. Calcium and magnesium makes it hard for water and soap to dissolve leaving a scurvy residue on your skin. The same residue blocks your pores which can cause skin conditions such as rashes, irritations, pimples and dry skin. This is also a contributing factor to wrinkling which is a sign of skin aging.
Soft water on the other hand lets you have a sudsy lather when you bathe. You can easily rinse it away therefore, it doesn't clog your pores. It also keeps your skin moisturized which means softer skin. :)
For areas with hard water, a water filter is recommended to maintain good balance for your scalp, skin & hair. Invigorated Living now offers 8-Stage Faucet & Tap Filter, Vitamin C Shower Head Filter and 8-Stage Shower Filter. They are very easy to install and very affordable!