What's In Your Water Bottle?
By now most of us area aware of the dangers lurking in single use plastic bottles. Most are made from cheap PET plastic, which is made for a single time use only, and is known to start leaching chemicals if re-used or heated above 86-104 degrees Fahrenheit (30-40 degrees Celsius). Yet many still reuse these bottles out of convenience.
In this article we will review how this may affect you and your health.
Single use bottles are readily found all over in supermarkets, gas stations, gyms, cafes, kiosks and in vending machines. In a recent German study of these bottles, it was found they contain close to a whopping 25000 chemicals. Shocking right? How can this be, and how is it legal to sell something clearly not beneficial to our health?
The German study focused on plastic particles found in the water, where they uncovered bottled water contains twice the amount of particles as that found in tap water. These results also covered well known popular bottled brands.
Another research on bottled water carried out by microplastic researcher Sherri Mason of the State University of New York at Fredonia, found that amongst 250 bottles tested from Brazil to China, India to Indonesia, Kenya to Lebanon, Mexico to Thailand and in the United States, a whopping 93% showed plastics found in the water. The test included major brands such as Aqua, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, Nestle Pure Life and San Pellegrino.
Where most claim they consume bottled water out of a need for clean water, this is commonly an incorrect statement, as most tap water is found to be of higher quality than bottled water. Where most bottled waters, with a few exceptions, measure a pH far below the natural body pH of 7.32, tap water is generally found to hold this neutral pH position.
Municipal governments provide cleaning stations where all water is processed before it reaches your house, however they often add in a surplus of negative elements such as chlorine and chloramine, and in some cases fluoride. If the water has been put through a Reverse Osmosis system (RO) without having minerals and trace elements, as well as the pH level raised up again, the tap water will be deemed as ‘dead’, acidic, and not good for consumption.
The RO process takes away vital and life essential minerals and trace elements, and in the process lowers the pH level of the water to pH 5-6. It does take away literally everything else too, which is a plus, but without the re-introduction of minerals and up’ing the pH level, it will not be ‘alive’ and healthy.
So unless you live in an area where you know there are serious contamination issues, fracking or other reasons why consuming your tap water is not good for you, we recommend doing a home test to check the starting point of your water and see what is necessary in order to get it to a high standard good for you and your family.
With surmounting plastic taking over our oceans and landfills, what can you do to help this dire situation? First off we recommend you consider switching to a refillable bottle, be it Tritan plastic (the strongest type there is, this will not leach chemicals until it reaches 212 degrees Fahrenheit / 100 degrees Celsius), Glass or Steel. For more info on our available bottles click here.
Before you sweep your social responsibility under the carpet, consider what you are teaching your kids and those around you. It is all our responsibility to help put an end to the insurmountable issue that plastic has become, and not further support it out of convenience.
We hope this article was enlightening.
From all us at Invigorated Water - stay hydrated, stay clean!
- Should I Use Filtered Water to Make My Tea Or Coffee?
- The effects of drinking Alkaline water on our body
- Does Lemon Remove Fluoride from Water?
- Alkaline vs Acid Diet
- HOLIDAY STINGERS
- Global Water Scarcity: What can you do?
- NEW LIPS, NEW YOU!
- What's In Your Water Bottle?
- HAPPINESS - A STATE OF MIND?
- COCO LOCO
- SWEET DREAMS
- NOW IS THE TIME
- EVERY SIP COUNTS
- Free-Flowing Happiness part 2
- Free-Flowing Happiness Part 1
- BREATHE DEEPLY
- COLOR YOUR LIFE
- THERE’S NOWHERE LIKE HOME
- FRESH BEAUTY WITH LEMONS
- 5 WAYS TO CLEANSE YOUR LIVER
- THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A GOOD SOAK
- COUNTERING JUNK FOOD
- BLESS OUR WORLD
- LET IT GO
- INTL WOMEN’S DAY/WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY
- A TIME FOR EQUITY
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 2)
- 10 WAYS TO NATURALLY REMOVE FLUORIDE (Part 1)
- NATURAL FLUORIDE DETOX WITH WATER
- An in-cider look?
- STARTING THE YEAR RIGHT
- JUST AS THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED?
- HANGOVER RECOVERY ESSENTIALS
- SMELL YOUR WAY TO BETTER HEALTH
- FIGHT COLD & FLU WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
- WAITED ON HAND AND FOOT?
- EDUCATE YOURSELF TO AVOID A SWEET DEATH
- Are 8 glasses of fluid really enough?
- ORANGE = VITALITY
- IONIZED WATER CAN COMBAT CHRONIC PAINS
- FALL RETROSPECT
- ‘Tis the season to get hot & steamy!
- Ionized water is important
- Hear ye! Hear ye! Garlic Oil will fight your ear infection!
- SAVE SOME WATER FOR TOMORROW
- Banana: The Happy Fruit
- Amazon and Wildlife Matters
- 'Bacteria Removal - Why It Is Important'
- Types of Tap Filters, when and where to use them